Friday, October 28, 2011

Pink and Green Ribbons

I’ve been meaning to do this post all month.  Most people are aware that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but a lot of people don’t know that it’s also Depression Awareness Month, which is symbolized by a green ribbon. 

Both of my grandmothers had breast cancer.  One of them is a survivor.  My other grandmother received treatments for her breast cancer, but they didn’t get rid of all of it and it spread to her lungs and killed her.

Please remember to do your monthly self-exams.  And if you’re over a certain age, please don’t put off having your mammograms.

I made this card using Lynne Stansbery’s Shy Bear-Show Your Support image and Marlene’s Hope ribbon.

100_6009

100_6010

I think I’m going to give this card to my surviving grandmother, since she’s a bit attached to anything with a pink ribbon on it.

On to the next card.  Most people know someone who suffers from depression, whether they realize it or not.  I myself have struggled with it.  One of my friends killed herself.  Multiple others have attempted it.  People who have never been through these kinds of things often struggle to understand the how and why of it all.  Well, honestly, I don’t expect people to understand completely.  But what I do appreciate is a non-judging ear.  Someone who is quick to listen, but not quick to dismiss my feelings as trivial.  And if I don’t feel like talking, just knowing that someone is there for me, and that they really do need me in their life helps a lot.  Just some personal feelings of my own.

Please, tell the people you love that you love them.  Make sure they know that you are glad to have them in your life, that they really are needed.

100_6007

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, it means a lot to me.

hugs,

Laura

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Laura, these are both great. Love this image and how you've done one for breast cancer and one for depression. I had no idea it was also depression awareness month in Oct, thanks for spreading the word. Good reminders for each card too!
Hugs~Kathy

Tracy said...

Both cards are adorable, and are sure to bring awareness to both causes.
Just found out a family friend has breast cancer and has to get a mastectomy :(
Depression is a very debilitating.

Anonymous said...

Oh Laura, what a beautiful post. Both of your cards are not only aesthetically lovely but heartfelt as well. I know your grandmother will be overjoyed to receive her card.

It seems we cannot extend our arms and not touch someone who battles depression these days, including myself. I did not realize the ribbon was green. How fitting for a little green witch. ;-) Hugs to you.

Sara a.k.a. Eternal Princess Ryan said...

Laura... Thank You for sharing so much of yourself and family with me!!! That means the world to me!!! I love both of your cards and I hope that if you ever need someone, I can be there for you!!! Huge Hugs to You!!! {SQUEEEEZEE}

Starr said...

Thanks for caring and sharing. your cards are adorable and you are making a difference and bringing smiles!